Wednesday, April 15, 2015

First post

Hello! I have started this project with the book  "Sixty million Frenchmen can't be wrong". I bought
this book several years ago out of curiosity, because I thought it would be quite fun to know about how English speaking people think about French people and France. Then I left this book on the shelf ever since...

Now I plan to have a second look into this interesting book, it turns out that it is written by a Canadian couple of journalists who write in both English and French and have lived in France for several years. "Sixty million Frenchmen can't be wrong" is just one of the books they wrote about the lives and experience they have had in France, during which they have "decoded the French in record time" thanks to a method of thinking of one of their friends who taught at McGill University.

So during this project I am going to share some of the views presented in this book and my opinion about some of the topics. Some of the remarks or discoveries may be out-of-date since the book was written in 2003 and many things have changed a lot during these 12 years, so I will also keep in mind to find if there are viewpoints that real French people, like you, may find unrealistic or  too cliche.

Of course this book may not be the only source of topic for the project,  subjects on how foreign people, especially those who live or have lived in France, are also one dimension of the project. I myself have my own version of understanding this lovable country, although I should say that honestly I know little about the true France, what I actually know about it is French schools, Chinese restaurants in Paris, the RER B and some French dishes like "Confit de Canard". Nevertheless, I am also going to think about it and discuss some of the impressions that Chinese people have about France, it would be interesting to see if the Chinese have totally different ideas compared to those of English speaking people.

1 comment:

  1. you might want to watch Harriet Rochefort's interview with my students.

    ReplyDelete